Can’t play Blu-ray discs on my computer!
“I have a biiiig problem, my computer does not play the Blu-ray discs that u put in my disc drive. Yes my drive supports blu-ray and i have downloaded millions of different codecs and video players but nothing works! It just give me a messege that its a unknown format. The disc works on my blu-ray player that i have connected to the TV but not on the computer. Anyone knows wtf to do?”
How Can I Play Blu-Ray Discs on My Computer?
“My Computer came with a Blu-ray drive, but I can’t seem to play Blu-rays with it, and everyone says I need to buy extra expensive software to use it. Even VLC can’t play them. (I thought it played everything!) Is paying $50 my only option?”
Why can’t Blu-ray play on Computer?
1. No Blu-ray drive. Blu-ray is a new format, so the old optical drive cannot read Blu-ray discs.
2. Native Blu-ray support issues. Because of Sony’s licensing on Blu-ray, it is pretty difficult to Blu-ray discs on your PC.
3. Encoding. Blu-ray discs are encoded with programming beyond that of a normal DVD, such as region code, AACS or BD+ from the latest bluray disc, etc.
Equipment for Blu-ray playback on Windows Computer
If you want to play a Blu-ray disc on your Computer, your components must be Blu-ray compatible. Blu-ray requires fairly robust and reliable hardware for the smooth playback of Blu-ray disc. Most new operating systems offer compatibility and are equipped with the Blu-ray drive, while some older ones do not, so we suggest you upgrade your components on your computer to get smooth Blu-ray playback. Check what you need:
1. Computer hardware
* Operating System: Microsoft® Windows XP (SP2 or later), Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10
* Processor (CPU): Intel Core2 Duo 2.4GHz processor or equivalent AMD Athlon™ processor or higher recommended;
* Memory: 512 MB RAM or higher recommended;
* Hard Disk Space:250 MB of free disk space;
* Disc Player: A internal or external Blu-ray drive. Since Blu-ray discs utilize a technology different from DVDs’, a Blu-ray supported disc drive is necessary to play BDs on a notebook. Make sure the USB of the Blu-ray drive is 2.0 or above. If you have purchased a new computer within the past year, chances are good that it may include a Blu-ray disc drive.
2. Blu-ray Player software
Why do we need Blu-ray Player Software? Windows and Mac operating systems currently both do not have native Blu-ray support, so you still won’t be able to watch a Blu-ray movie with Windows Media Player, VLC or Quicktime even if you may have all the right hardware. Blu-ray player software, a third party application, can remove the restrictions of protected Bluray Discs and ensure high-quality Blu-ray playback without the confines of an electronic player. UFUWare Blu-ray Player is an excellent Blu-ray player software product, which can be used both on Mac and Windows. You can free download it from official website and try it before purchase.
3. A Bluray Disc(BD)
Once you have the necessary euipment, you can enjoy high-definition playback of the latest Blu-ray movies on your Computer.
Check the equipment for Blu-ray playback on Windows Computer, if you still miss one or two, you need to hurry and get them all to enjoy Blu-ray on Computer.
Tip: If you want to play a Blu-ray disc on a Mac computer, you can check your eqipment for Blu-ray playback on Mac in this article: What Equipment Do I Need to Play Blu-ray Disc on My Mac.